I develop content for online and offline, for agencies (web developers, brand managers, designers, PRs and marketers) and directly for businesses (SMEs, start-ups). My sweet spot is tourism, but I’ve always worked across multiple sectors. Real estate is right up there, while I’ve dabbled in my wish list of food, hospitality and design.
I love the challenges of a big brand ready to deploy a marketing strategy just as much as I relish taking the journey with a micro-business owner treading new ground.
A copywriter is only as good as her last brief. These are some of my most recent clients/projects, from 2015 and 2016.
GSDM Marketing (agency) Specialists in destination marketing and with a core group of clients in the tourism industry, GSDM has briefed me on dozens of projects requiring persuasive, aspirational content – one of my favourite creative challenges. I get to discover and wax lyrical about the best locations in my backyard and beyond.
In 2015/16, tourism projects (many of them repeat gigs) included editorial content for:
- Great Ocean Road Travel Planner for GORRT (2015 + 2014)
- Great Southern Touring Route InternationalTrade Manual (2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 + 2012)
- Great Ocean Road Touring Map for GORRT (2016 + 2015)
- Destination guides for Warrnambool, Torquay, Port Fairy, 12 Apostles + Hinterland, Apollo Bay + Otways, Anglesea (all for GORRT)
- Official Visitor Guide: Werribee, Point Cook & Surrounds (2016, 2015)
- Cultural Guide to Victoria for Cultural Tourism Victoria (2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 + 2011)
- Planners Guide for Business Events Geelong (2016, 2014 + 2012)
- Planners Guide for Business Events Victoria (2016, 2014 + 2012)
- Victoria Cabin, Caravan & Camping Guide for VICParks (2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 + 2012)
- Australian Camps Association Guide to Camps (2016/17, 2014/15, 2013/14)
- Multi-page pitch document promoting Geelong region as training camp destination for international sporting teams
- Proofreading + copy editing of reports and plans for Timboon and District Healthcare Services
- Editorial for Growing Winchelsea Prospectus for Surf Coast Shire
- Content development for new website for Air Radiators
City of Greater Geelong (COGG) (local government) Since being appointed to COGG’s preferred supplier list in 2011, I’ve worked on numerous projects, with an array of council departments, many involving proofreading and/or copy editing (for “plain English”) of documents and reports. Recent projects include:
- Proofreading and light copy editing of Draft Greenhouse Strategy
- Development of content for interpretive signage at Bellarine Yellow Gum Reserve and Phoenix Reserve
- Content for information notes for Buckley Park Reserve
- Content for an environment program newsletter x 2 editions
Fluid Group (agency) I’ve been working with the Fluid team almost as long as they’ve been together (15 years). I love the relaxed vibe of their surf coast studio. They work on impressive national brands and always have a swag of interesting stuff on the go. Our most recent projects together include:
- Copy polishing and development for new website for Coulter Roache (leading Geelong legal firm)
- Copy polishing content for new website for DPM Financial Services
- Proofreading annual report for Yarra Valley Water (2016 + 2015)
- Developing brochure and web content for 3D Comm
- Proofreading annual report for AustralianSuper (2016 + 2015)
- Proofreading environmental report for City of Greater Geelong
- Copyediting and proofing of editorial content of annual report for Webster
- Development of website content for the new Geelong Library and Heritage Centre
- Proofreading draft content for 36-page Police Life print magazine
- Proofing + copy editing of Fluid’s own web content, e-news + marketing and client acquisition materials
- Developing content for Fluid’s Environmental Policy
Harcourts International (real estate) Freelancing into HI’s NZ based marketing team on projects with an international focus including editorial for:
- International recruitment campaign brochure
- Brand Book for Luxury Property Selection
- Regular blogposts for Luxury Property Selection
- Promotional lifestyle content for Luxury Property Selection
Paul Kelly Creative (agency) We’ve not long found each other, but have been ticking off some awesome web content projects together including:
- Greater Scapes Landscaping (WIP)
- Geelong Smash Repairs
- Contane Office Space
- Wolfman Records (About page)
- Truffleduck (WIP)
MACS – Multicultural Aged Care Services (Not for Profit) Annual Reports with heart! Collaborated with the Brand Bureau team and ace photographer Lis Bevan to create annual reports [so far: 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 + 2009] truly based on values and mission (not numbers and compliance). The first in 2009, a large format calendar, exuded heart, soul and maximum keep-ability, and we haven’t looked back since. “Our first task together and what a great one. Thank-you for your ‘words’. You were able to capture the very essence of MACS, a special gift you have and how lucky we are to have you working for us. I look forward to further developing our relationship.” Joy Leggo, CEO
One Rabbit (agency) One Rabbit (formerly DDG or Dzign Diesel Group) has referred challenging and creative projects my way for more than a decade. With a focus on digital lead generation, I’m called on to nail niche copy needs. In 2015/16, projects included naming of services/programs + positioning statements for LGAs, a fresh product importer, an expanding accounting group, a bulk salt supplier and more. I worked with the digital team to polish content for Bell Group Accounting, refining messages and tone as the firm repositoned as specialist accountants and advisers to property investors, developers and building trades. Developed content for an 8pp brochure for Actrua, Brisbane-based consultants in performance culture and training. Copyedited/polished web content for Gordon Ave Pools & Spas.
URBO (SME) Sometimes the universe sends you what you need. Even when you don’t know you need it. An industry colleague referred Adam Maccora to me in the early stages of setting up his subdivision consultancy. He needed a business name, tagline, web content + more. A business was born: URBO, taken from the Esperanto word meaning “city” (Esperanto is a constructed auxiliary international language). A tagline and website followed. The kicker in the tale? I’ve turned the tables and become an URBO client, with Adam guiding us through our own little subdivision project.
Zing Business Coaching (SME) I’ve worked with Zing owner Lisa Conway over the years, long before she created Zing and the industry buzz that envelopes it. She’s a bundle of smarts and energy; you can’t help but be inspired by her enthusiasm and unstoppable work ethic. Our recent projects together include:
- Copy editing articles and editorial headed to industry magazines (print + online)
- Copy editing and structural editing of Lisa’s 43,000-word book manuscript
- Development of landing page content
- Development of content for promo + exhibit materials, brochures, EDMs, event flyers
AAA Above Plumbing and Construction (SME) Worked with photographer/designer Michael Renga to develop content for AAA Above Plumbing and Construction’s brand new website. This locally owned and operated business has a professional footprint right across Melbourne/Geelong and needed a web presence to demonstrate experience and capability.
Central Highlands Water (authority) I’ve freelanced into the CHW marketing/comm’s unit for more than a decade, complementing their in-house talent on projects as needed. The constant has been proofreading of the CHW Annual Report and Water Quality Report each year. Challenging in their size and data-richness, these doc’s inevitably call for a fast turnaround. Lucky I do my best work under pressure.
Challis Design (agency) Challis Design is a long-term client; we’ve worked together for many years on dozens of interpretive signage projects. Recently, we’ve teamed up on a project for Rural City of Wangaratta to develop interpretive signage content for the Bullawah Cultural Trail, a river-side walking track snaking along the Ovens River. Theming is anchored in Aborignal story, dreaming and cultural cues. Crafting an authentic voice is fundamental. We’ve also worked together on a City of Greater Geelong project to develop interpretive signage for the Eastern Beach Mineral Springs precinct and tourism content for information bay signage for Macedon Ranges Shire Council.
MediCoach (SME) Worked with Kim Poyner, founder of this health industry training/coaching consultancy, to develop content for program brochures and website. As often happens, a tagline emerged during the process: engage, streamline and prosper.